Re: Debian Free Software (FSF) or Open Source? (was Re; non-cd...)

"Steve Lamb" <morpheus@calweb.com> writes:

> On Sun, 28 Jun 1998 15:35:17 -0400, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
>
> >By the first statement the debian Qt package is a violation of the
> >licence becuase it modifes the archive.  Putting it on a cd does not
> >violte the licence any farther.

It doesn't violate the license if neither it nor any program compiled
against it is distributed.

>     Incorrect.  The unmodified archive is still there.  As I was educated on
> debian-user just use ar to extract the original, unmodified tar from the
> debianize archive.

ar extracts binary packages, the sources are not in the binary package.

The existing Debian package seems to be legal by special permission
from trolltech.  As a rule, Debian avoids putting packages on CD that
would fall under this category.  (Because it raise questions like: if
Kevin decides to make his own Debian derivative with KDE installed by
default, and called it Kevin Linux, would he also need to get explicit
permission from TrollTech to include the Debian qt libraries?)

>     I'm sure either Hamish or Manoj would be happy to elaborate on that since
> they hammered it into my brain on another thread.  ;)

>From the copyright file for the qt package, we read:

: The contrib section seems right.  Core is out of the question, since
: we do not allow people to redistribute changed versions of Qt.

and

: > Ok, so just for clarity and my own understanding:
: >
: > 1 I'll pack the three `binary' packages for Debian/GNU (section
: > contrib), with LICENCE and README* included.
: >
: > 2 I'll send you a file list of each of these packages.
: >
: > 3 You'll permit me to upload these packages and your unmodified
: > source to the Debian/GNU linux project.
: >
: > 4 If changes in packaging are necessary, we'll start at point (1).
:
: Right.
:
: --Arnt

Judging from this I wouldn't want Debian to go anywhere near qt.  (And
if we have any qt package it has to go in non-free, where it is now.)

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu