Re: Debian Free Software (FSF) or Open Source? (was Re; non-cd...)

> Truly I think Debian should be a good noncommercial distribution which
> included stuff that may not be truly Open Source but free enough, not an
> Open Source distribution of linux.  However it is clear that not many
> other people want that.

Look, you just put your views in the form that noone (including myself,
who is very much in favor of distributiong as much software as possible,
and may be the last one to die for a free software thing) could agree with
you.

OK, you want Qt, KDE, mysql, (what else?) being distributed with Debian.
So, what do you propose:
  1) Change some requirement in DFSG to make these packages qualify for
  main distribution? Please formulate the changes you want, you proposition
  could then be discussed and voted.
  2) separate non-free on cd-ok and non-free? (I.e. change Debian policy).
  Again, please formulate your changes.
  3) Anything else?
I myself doubt that Debian would vote to any change of DFSG relaxation.
But tightening DFSG can serve exactly the same goal: it will result in
moving more packages to non-free and thus making it more discussion-worthy
(and split-worthy). Think about it. Debian is very much about politics ...

Alex Y.
--
   _
 _( )_