Re: Debian Free Software (FSF) or Open Source? (was Re; non-cd...)

Hi,
>>"Steve" == Steve Lamb <morpheus@calweb.com> writes:

 Steve> On 28 Jun 1998 01:18:57 -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 Steve> So now having a package that you have in your database is a
 Steve> requirement for speaking with you?

 >> Nope; but before you start telling me what Debian should be
 >> doing and how it is doing things all wrong; you have to show some
 >> credentials.

 Steve> Show me where I have stated Debian is doing anything wrong.
 Steve> I'll even forward you all my messages from this thread so you
 Steve> can find it.

	And did I search for your name in the available file? Huh? The
 person whose contribution I was looking for had done exactly that.

	I think you are just arguing for the sake of argument.

 >> Debian is not just about a bunch of people whose keys were
 >> signed. It is a group of people with common goals. Are you sure you
 >> are with the spirit of the DSG?

 Steve> Are you sure you are?  To me the spirit is for people to have
 Steve> the right to chose what they want to use without reproach and
 Steve> providing them with a viable alternative to commercial
 Steve> software.  What is your interpitation?

	We are committed to having Debian be 100 % free software. Any
 non free software, or even free software that depends on non free
 software, can never be part of debian. Anything we create in debian
 is going to have a free licence.

	During the discussion around creating the DFSG, we even said
 we shall prefer an inferior free software to a better non free one,
 but that never made it into the DFSG.

	I have also seen little support for your platform, at east a
 dozen people have communicated support for mine in personal
 communication. Also, revious flame wars in these lists have lead me
 to believe that the majority leans my way.

	manoj
--
 After winning the decathlon, Jim Thorpe was told by the King of
 Sweden, "You are the world's greatest athlete." Thorpe replied,