kaffe? (was: Re: On java programs & main/contrib

On Fri, Jun 26, 1998 at 11:53:17AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> In my opinion, we ought to have a virtual package for each java version,
> but programs should remain in contrib until they have been shown to work
> with a free java implementation.
>
> On the other hand, we don't have a "not-recommended" header that dpkg
> (or apt) heeds. If we did, it would be a good idea to not-recommend
> everything up to the current version for java implementations which
> don't work for the package.

While we are at it, what about kaffe?

It is listed in the wnpp as a package looking for a new maintainer.
It is not really free, because it needs classes.zip, but is the best we
have now (am I right?).

Vincent, what are your plans with kaffe? Everybody? I probably would take
kaffe if nobody is willing to, but would probably feel more comfortable
if somebody took it with more java knowledge than me. Or are you just
waiting for a free kaffe? (wasn there some rumour about kaffe being complete
soon?)

Marcus