Re: kaffe? (was: Re: On java programs & main/contrib

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> It is listed in the wnpp as a package looking for a new maintainer.
> It is not really free, because it needs classes.zip, but is the best we
> have now (am I right?).

Right, although in a while the "Kore" class library should be able to
replace it...

> Vincent, what are your plans with kaffe? Everybody? I probably would take
> kaffe if nobody is willing to, but would probably feel more comfortable
> if somebody took it with more java knowledge than me. Or are you just
> waiting for a free kaffe? (wasn there some rumour about kaffe being complete
> soon?)

I have no plan with it... I don't program in java anymore, and don't have
much time for packaging.

I orphaned kaffe in March 1997 (or so). Jim Pick told he would adopt it,
but never uploaded it. Ean told me he started to work on it about 1 month
ago, but still no upload AFAIK...
Kaffe is not trivial to package, but some of my packages (gdb, wine) are
much worse... What it really needs is some coordination with the
maintainer of the jdk package since kaffe and the jdk package shared a lot
of file diversions.

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS                 vincent@{waw.com,pipo.com,debian.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:           Pipo:                    WAW:               -