netselect - choosing the best FTP server automatically

Hi all,

A while ago on debian-devel I proposed an algorithm that would allow APT to
choose the best possible server for each user from a large list
automatically.  It could also be used for other tasks, eg. choosing a good
SQUID neighbour or IRC server.

So, I wrote a program that gathers the statistics needed for these
operations.  It's called netselect, and I wrote it all in one night, so
please be gentle with the bug reports :) I do want to hear what you think
though.  Following my signature is the first part of the README.

Get it from:
	http://www.worldvisions.ca/~apenwarr/netselect-0.1.tar.gz

It's very experimental.  Let me know what happens!

Have fun,

Avery

---------------------------

netselect 0.1
=============

This is netselect, an ultrafast intelligent parallelizing binary-search
implementation of "ping."

Now stop laughing and pay attention.

netselect determines several facts about all of the hosts given on the
command line, much faster you would if you manually tried to use ping and
traceroute.  For example, if I type:

	netselect -v ftp.fceia.unr.edu.ar ftp.kulnet.kuleuven.ac.be \
			ftp.cdrom.com ftp.debian.org ftp.de.debian.org

It tells me this:

ftp.fceia.unr.edu.ar                   422 ms   19 hops   40% ok ( 2/ 5)
ftp.kulnet.kuleuven.ac.be             9999 ms   30 hops    0% ok
ftp.cdrom.com                          215 ms   13 hops   89% ok (17/19)
ftp.debian.org                         194 ms   20 hops   50% ok ( 3/ 6)
ftp.de.debian.org                      276 ms   15 hops   66% ok ( 6/ 9)

For each host, it figures out the approximate ping time (though not as
accurately as "ping" does), the number of network "hops" to reach the
target, and the percentage of ping requests that got through successfully.

Note that for ftp.kulnet.kuleuven.ac.be in this case, nothing got through at
all.  That indicates that either the host doesn't exist, or it is down.

For a bigger example, I've included the file debian-ftp-mirrors, which is a
partially up-to-date list of Debian Linux FTP site mirrors.  Try this:

	netselect -vv $(cat debian-ftp-mirrors)