Re: PAM and slink (was Re: packaging PAM modules? anyone?)

Norbert Veber <nveber@vtech.ddns.org> writes:
> What sorts of things can pam do?  I only know that for example a long
> program that uses PAM works regardless of weather the password file is
> shadowed or not, but can it do more advanced authentication, ie. could it be
> used to replace radius?

PAM, as I understand it, provides the hooks that enable you to plug in
different authentication/authorization (NIS, NIS+, shadow, passwd,
kerberos, radius, etc).  That way, you have a pam'ified /bin/login,
rather than having a kerbified login, a shadow login, etc etc.

It's used by RedHat and Solaris.