packaging PAM modules? anyone?

I asked once earlier, but no one responded:
Does anyone know how PAM modules should be packaged?

Where should they be installed? Is there some way to register them, or some
script to run to offer the sysadmin the option of making the new module the
global default? Personally I think PAM modules are one of the big missing
links for Unix system and no distribution would be complete without a solid
architecture for dealing with them. We have ppp-pam and pam packages, but how
does packaging further modules work?

Kerberos won't be properly supported until there's a PAM module for it
packaged. There are a couple around, but I have no idea how to package them.
I don't even know how PAM is configured and I don't use it here at all.

greg