Re: Serious performance bug in Perl

Christopher J. Fearnley writes ("Re: Serious performance bug in Perl"):
>to call it (instead of the default perl - 5.004.04-6).  Performance
>improved several hundred-fold.  So I believe the problem is either in
>perl or libc6.
>
>Any suggestions on how to resolve this?  As I said before the slowdown
>seems to occur in the get_current_uids subroutine (and possible
>get_current_gids).  Which has a loop on getpwent (and getgrent).
>
>Can anyone else duplicate this behavior?

I can duplicate this behavior.  Performance gets exponentially better
if I move my NIS password records into the local password file.  So in
my case I am tempted to blame libc6's NIS performance (which in other
circumstances I have found to be rather slow anyways)

Are you running NIS?

--
Richard W Kaszeta 			Graduate Student/Sysadmin
bofh@me.umn.edu				University of MN, ME Dept