Re: Serious performance bug in Perl

I have missed a bit of the conversation here, so it isn't clear to me
which lib6 is being used.

I am currently preparing the 2.0.7 release version. To the best of my
knowledge the 2.0.7pre3 (in slink...sorry) had some major NIS work done on
it, but there isn't anything between then and now.

If 2.0.7pre3 isn't an improvement over pre1, then I need to know about it,
and what is causing it so I can complain upstream about it ;-)

Thanks,

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Richard Kaszeta wrote:

> Christopher J. Fearnley writes ("Re: Serious performance bug in Perl"):
> >to call it (instead of the default perl - 5.004.04-6).  Performance
> >improved several hundred-fold.  So I believe the problem is either in
> >perl or libc6.
> >
> >Any suggestions on how to resolve this?  As I said before the slowdown
> >seems to occur in the get_current_uids subroutine (and possible
> >get_current_gids).  Which has a loop on getpwent (and getgrent).
> >
> >Can anyone else duplicate this behavior?
>
> I can duplicate this behavior.  Performance gets exponentially better
> if I move my NIS password records into the local password file.  So in
> my case I am tempted to blame libc6's NIS performance (which in other
> circumstances I have found to be rather slow anyways)
>
> Are you running NIS?
>
> --
> Richard W Kaszeta 			Graduate Student/Sysadmin
> bofh@me.umn.edu				University of MN, ME Dept
> http://www.menet.umn.edu/~kaszeta
>

> --

Dwarf