mirroring policy

Philip Hands wrote:
> BTW Any chance of installing the latest rsync on va ?  The anonymous rsync
> stuff works well for me, and it would save the encryption overhead of using
> rsync over ssh.

Some background: the latest rsync allows anonymous connections. It also allows
you to restrict who can connect anonymously.

I've discussed this with Jason and he's against it. He feels that it will be too
much administrative overhead to keep a list of acceptable mirrors. The reason
we would want to set up restrictions is to prevent just anyone from mirroring from
the primary Debian sites (va and master. It would be a good idea to minimize the
net load from mirroring so they can be used for other tasks).

Given the large number of mirrors (ftp and www) it would be a good idea if we set up
a more formal mirroring policy. My proposal would be to switch to anon rsync on
master which is restricted to 3 primary ftp and web mirrors (2 in the US and 1
in Europe for both ftp and web). All other mirrors would have to use one of
the primary mirrors.

As quite a number of people are currently using rsync to mirror, is it really worth
it to make a change? Even if we send messages to -devel beforehand I'm sure a number
of mirrors will break for a while. Additionally, links to va and master have been
quite stable for the last few months so net load has been less of a problem.
If anything, the primary reason for setting up anon rsync would be so we can get
rid of most of the mirror accounts from master. This is a good idea from both
security and administrative points of view.

Jay Treacy