Re: mirroring policy

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, James A.Treacy wrote:

> I've discussed this with Jason and he's against it. He feels that it will be too
> much administrative overhead to keep a list of acceptable mirrors. The reason
> we would want to set up restrictions is to prevent just anyone from mirroring from
> the primary Debian sites (va and master. It would be a good idea to minimize the
> net load from mirroring so they can be used for other tasks).

Lets ask Andrew to add CHAP like authentication - that will clear my
complaints. I don't like the idea of IP based authentication, it is weak
and it is a pain to admin.

> Given the large number of mirrors (ftp and www) it would be a good idea if we set up
> a more formal mirroring policy. My proposal would be to switch to anon rsync on
> master which is restricted to 3 primary ftp and web mirrors (2 in the US and 1
> in Europe for both ftp and web). All other mirrors would have to use one of
> the primary mirrors.

Also, those primary mirrors will be 'push' mirrors. Lets not do this
until Guy adds the runparts we talked about earlier.

I propose a two level scheme, master does a push to the top level mirrors
(va, .de, .uk, .au) then each of those does a push to a few others. I
think we should require that mirrors in the .debian.org domain be push
mirrors - I see too many complaints that a mirror is perpetually broken
because it mirrors a mirror during it's mirror cycle.

We can set va to push mirror from master as soon as guy adds the runparts
script and see how things work.

Jason