Re: RFC: monitoring maintainers' vacations

Philip Hands writes:
 > People could always put something in their .plan on master, so you could just
 > finger them.

Problems with this is that it is yet another informal method, and it's
hardly automatizable - you'll have to finger manually... that does not
help much IMHO.

Wichert Akkerman writes:
 > Personally, I always install vacation when I'm away for an extended
 > period of time. Couldn't maintainers just install vacation on the
 > account on master? This way when someone mails them a reply
 > is automatically made stating the maintainer is away. More processing
 > could easily be added..
 >
 > Of course, this only works for maintainers which use there debian.org-address
 > as their maintainer address, but I expect that people use other addresses
 > can install vacation locally.

Well, not all ISPs allow that...

Further more, that would only address the "warn sender" issue.  It
will still miss the "call for NMR" on deb-dev - not all submitters
will think about, or even want, to send additionnal mails, once they
have reported...

Further more, vacation seem to only reply when the user is in the
"To:" or "CC:" fields, ie. when he's in the *original* recipients,
which is usually not the case for a bug report, addressed to
"{submit,maintonly}@bugs"

Or do I miss something ?
--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@mygale.org> | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,