Re: so what? Re: Debian development modem

Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> I don't see any way we could have preserved compatibility more than
> we did, with the hamm release.  The entire altdev scheme was devised
> for it.  What more could have been done?

That was solved a long time ago, and isn't the reason hamm was
delayed.  [Not having the apt method for dselect might be considered
the reason hamm was delayed.]

> "They do it" is easily said, but it runs counter to the principle of
> letting maintainers have the final word on their packages.  That
> principle is the main reason why absentee maintainers are such a
> problem.  Do you propose to drop it?

Maintainers have the final word only if the exercise it.  We
don't need to stall a release because someone decided that
some real life issue was more important to them.

> This is still a major operation at every freeze time.  I like the
> "stable pool" approach much better.  That way we are ready to release
> *at any time*, modulo newly discovered bugs in the stable packages
> that have to be fixed.

I think I also like the "stable pool" approach better.

--
Raul