Re: Debian Re-organization proposals (was: Re: so what?)

On Tue, Jun 02, 1998 at 12:35:35AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  David> Reread some of my earlier messages.  I firmly believe that a
>  David> lack of strong leadership has been one of the biggest
>  David> contributing factors in Debian's inability to put out timely
>  David> releases.
>
> 	I think that placing the blame on the leadership is a) non
>  productive, and b) the easy way to duck blame.

My choice of wording was poor.  My intent was not to place blame.
Everyone, myself included, was to blame for letting things drift off
course in the past.  Rather, my point is that strong leadership is
needed to help keep everyone focused and the project on course in the
future.

>  The Debian project is
>  too big for one person. We need now a formalized method for
>  initiating changes; and that we are getting, once we ratify the
>  constitution.
>  [...]
> 	You are talking about the growing pains of a project that has
>  gone beyond the old boys club, and can no longer operate in an ad hoc
>  fashion.

I guess we're just going to have to disagree.  I've stated before that
a democracy is not the best way to run Debian and I still stand by
that.  Democracy is the right way to run a government.  It is not the
right way to run a project.  I would much rather see a single person
or small group of people, with the right vision and skills, be put in
charge (with some checks and balances, of course) and let them manage.

> 	In my opinion, this is thinking in the mold of the old ways,
>  when a godly central project leader made or broke the project. Read
>  teh constitution. We need to go beyond the dependency on one
>  individual. We have the talent to discover a process, a business
>  model, so to say, that enables us to put forth releases on a more
>  frequent time table.

I have read the constitution.  It is way overkill and places too much
potentially destructive power in the hands of developers.  Voting by
developers should be limited to the election and recall of leaders and
the ratification of amendments.  Developers should still be allowed to
make proposals but the final decision making authority should rest
with the leaders or their delegates.

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road