Re: rsh and rcp, or ftp stalling

   > 	I have scripts that do a lot of rcp and rsh or alot of ftp,
   > between two debian machines on a local network.  Either method invariably
   > hangs after several (50-100) successful commands.  For some time
   > afterwards, rsh commands are no longer possible.  If I do too many ftp's ,
   > the same thing happens, however the ftp's and rsh don't interfere with one
   > another.
   > 	Is this some kind of security feature ?

See inetd(8):

     The wait/nowait entry is applicable to datagram sockets only
     (other sock- ets should have a ``nowait'' entry in this space).
     If a datagram server connects to its peer, freeing the socket so
     inetd can received further messages on the socket, it is said to
     be a ``multi-threaded'' server, and should use the ``nowait''
     entry.  For datagram servers which process all incoming datagrams
     on a socket and eventually time out, the server is said to be
     ``single-threaded'' and should use a ``wait'' entry.  Com- sat(8)
     (biff(1)) and talkd(8) are both examples of the latter type of
     datagram server.  Tftpd(8) is an exception; it is a datagram
     server that establishes pseudo-connections.  It must be listed as
     ``wait'' in order to avoid a race; the server reads the first
     packet, creates a new socket, and then forks and exits to allow
     inetd to check for new service requests to spawn new servers.
     The optional ``max'' suffix (separated from ``wait'' or
     ``nowait'' by a dot) specifies the maximum number of server
     instances that may be spawned from inetd within an interval of 60
     sec- onds. When omitted, ``max'' defaults to 40.