Re: so what? Re: Debian development modem

On Wed, 27 May 1998, David Engel  wrote:

> On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 08:14:56PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> > Is it as simple as cutting more releases?
> >
> > Let's say that every three months we split off an unstable version and
> > froze then released what we had at that point. Do you see any problems
> > with this?
>
> If only it were that simple.  Personally, I think a release every 4 to
> 5 months is about right.  However, testing and actually preparing a
> release are not fun.  With a volunteer organization such as Debian,
> there has to be a commitment, starting at the top and running all the
> way down, to get the dirty work done, even if it means putting a
> complete (but temporary) stop to all other development work.

Both the NetBSD & OpenBSD groups have 2 scheduled releases each year: one
on June 15th, and one on December 15th. I'd be in favor of adopting a
similar release schedule for Debian.

If we decide to do so, we must consolidate the testing team to be able to
test&fix the release within the current schedule, but I don't think it's
impossible to do.

	Cordialement,

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS                 vincent@{waw.com,pipo.com,debian.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:           Pipo:                    WAW:               -