Re: Drop DFSG in favour of OSD?

> > Wouldn't it make more sense if we no longer refer to our licensing
> > guidelines as the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG), and instead
> > choose to call them the "Open Source Definition" (OSD)?  They are the
> > same thing - and it would be a bit less confusing if there was only
> > one name.
>
> I object along with the other people...

I agree in principle -- changing the name of our document on us seems like
a cheap way to avoid giving Debian any credit.  But I also think that if
the Open Software movement is going anyplace (and it seems to be doing
pretty well at the moment),  it's silly of us not to jump on the bandwagon
as long as they're still going the same way we are ...

	Maybe we need a "Debian,  as the originator of the Debian Free
Software Guidelines (the predecessor of the Open Source Guidelines),  is
100% Open Source." or something -- something that :
1) assures the world we're Open Source -- we are,  after all.
2) reminds the world VERY GENTLY that the whole "open source" bit was ours
first anyway (really,  it was RMS's,  but that's an argument we won't
have now...)
                     					Will

|             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |