Re: perlfaq (and perltoot) licenses

On 23-May-1998, Eric Prestemon <ecp@io.com> wrote:

> I would just like to quote 2 things Tom Christiansen has said in the perl
> copyright discussion on usenet which seem to make this a non-issue for
> debian:
>
> in Message-ID: <6k0irk$bma$3@csnews.cs.colorado.edu>
>
>   Bundling the FAQ with the complete distribution is of course perfectly
>   fine -- and mandatory.  I'm talking about people putting my FAQ in their
>   own books and charging for it.  That I won't stand for.  If you want to
>   distribute the FAQ *unbundled*, you must not charge more that it cost
>   you to copy it.
>
> in Message-ID: <6k2bcn$m51$1@csnews.cs.colorado.edu>
>
>     ``There are two problems with the Perl documentation that we can
>      and should clarify; this may involve changing included copyrights.
>      The first matter is that using code derived from the examples
>      (some of which are very long) in your programs in no way infects
>      your code with the GPL.  The second matter is that in whatever
>      form that Perl is distributed, its documentation may/must also
>      be distributed.  The public statement by the FSF that Perl's
>      documentation is not "free" risks misleading people -- because
>      the Perl community recognizes that its documentation is free --
>      and should be therefore amended.''
>

> As you can see, Tom intends all of the perl doc tree to be shipped with
> perl distributions, and as copyright holder, will surely not sue anybody
> for doing so, especially since he says it *must* be shipped with any perl
> distribution.

This whole issue is problematic.

What does he mean it *must* be shipped with any perl distribution?

I don't know how you can do this without changing the license for
Perl.

The clearest I've seen him on this issue is saying perlfaq "may and
must" be shipped with Perl, which I don't understand at all.

(Lets wait a week before trying to figure this out though).

--
       Tyson Dowd           # So I asked Sarah: what's the serial number on
                            # your computer? She replied: