compiler problem!

I am running hamm, originally installed from a CD I burned
abotu 2 weeks before code freeze. The past 2 nights I have been
upgradeing packages to the latest frozen with apt-get

Since I yesterday became a registered debian package maintainer
and am now able to upload my packages, I thought I would
look over xfstt one last time and upload my latest version into
unstable, unfortunatly it wouldn't compile!

This program compiled fine and runs on my system from a few weeks
ago. Earlier tonight I upgraded gcc to the latest version, and
I have upgraded various other packages (I think I have upgraded
all of my essential and required packages...I am not exactly
sure tho, I use apt-get by hand so...)

I have not changed the actual source code AT ALL since the last time
I built the package (I did edit the rules a bit but only a few
lines which have to do with handleing documentation)

The program is written in C++ and the Makefile use "cc" as its compiler
When I try to compile (I also tried just "make" from the source directory)
I get the error that it "cc1plus" does not exist...I straced it and saw
it looked ina  number of placed, then I did:

[sjc@Shit-Box xfstt-0.9.8]$ locate cc1plus
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.3/cc1plus

if I goto that directory, cc1plus does not exist, but being that it is in my
database of file names, and updatedb runs nightly, this must have
happend over the past day.

WHat is the problem (hmm I just tried, if I change both the compiler
and linker to g++ and make it works fine so I will do that and
build the package and upload the package if it pases my testing)
but...shouldn't "cc" work fine? (btw I noticed in package descriptions
that g++ and gcc were split now so I installed g++ with apt-get too)
is there a reason they were split in a fashopn that makes one have
to explicitly call one or the other?

(note: I just found the g++ thing to work while I was writting this
but...wouldn't this break some things?)

-Steve
PS I got a note earlier about my postings to this list being
unreadable (hmm Write-Only e-mail?) I am working on being more readable
any comments?
--
** Stephen Carpenter ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** sjc@delphi.com **
"We do everything by custom, even belive by it; our very axioms, let us