Re: Debian from the Stampede's POV

On Sat, 23 May 1998 16:25:46 +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

>The "other data" in Debian's case is stuff like dependency information,
>installation and removal scripts, and the maintainer's contact address.

    Proprietary to Debian...

>(That's more or less enough information to tell you what other programs
>you need to already have installed, anything special that you might have
>to take care of beyond just untar'ing it, and someone to email if you
>run into problems)

    Which is generally in the README.

>Most of that's usually duplicated in /usr/doc/ directories, but since it's
>there and it can be useful, I think it's a good thing to let it be got at.

    To the point of requiring another program to get at the archive that the
people want?  I don't think so.

    Here is why a lot of people are looking at SLP and liking it.

tar xzf blah.slp

    There ya go, that's it, end of story.  No cpio, no ar, nothing but tar
which has been the standard for years and years, esp. in the Linux community
as a whole.  SLP is an extention of that standard.  Since it is compatible
with it one can, theoretically, replace TGZ with SLP.  The same cannot be
said about deb and rpm.

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my