Re: Proposal and call for participation, Linux Standard Base Project

Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@ull.es> wrote:
> Can you ellaborate on that, please?

The problems include:

(*) There's no efficient tool for taking a "make install" and
registering the results in the package database. [For a quick hack,
something based on strace -f would seem like a good idea.]

(*) Sometimes, sources need a different version of libraries than what
we provide, but riping out some libraries and replacing them with
something else is bad.

(*) sometimes packages get taken off hold in dselect.

(*) it's very difficult to check if a large scale package installation
is going to step on an area you're concerned with.

(*) the book on how to administrate a debian system has not been
written.

--
Raul