Re: Periodic warning re dpkg's internal data structures

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Ian Jackson wrote:

> So, you are hereby warned (again) that at some point in the future the
> following may well change the format and location of:
>
>  /var/lib/dpkg/status and /var/lib/dpkg/updates
>  /var/lib/dpkg/available
>  /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list
>
> If they do there will be little warning.  I have plans on my todo list
> which will make these things change.  If you need an interface to this

I hope at least we will be able to see what you are going to change it to
before you change it :>

> information that isn't currently available you should report it as a
> bug.  If you maintain a library or other program that legitimately
> accesses these files you will need to coordinate with me nearer the
> time to make sure that the transition happens in an orderly way.

Well, to make APT happy I need dpkg to implement two new commands,
 --print-status-file   -- Send the status file to stdout. Right now
         this would be just like cat /var/lib/dpkg/status except that
         it would handle the updates directory
 --print-status-tag -- Display an opaque string that indicates the current
         'revision' of the status file. For now a string that has the size and
         mtime would be ample (this serves the same purpose as an MD5 - MD5 is
         overkill however)

status-tag is required to keep the cached copy of the status file in sync
with dpkg's view of the world - each time APT starts it would query dpkg
and check if it needs to reload the status file. Right now it uses a
mtime+size comparision.

Jason