Periodic warning re dpkg's internal data structures

Every once in a while people do things to /var/lib/dpkg which they
have no right to do (or suggesting doing them).  I usually post then
saying, `please leave it alone and use the published interface'.

Since noone seems to have posted such suggestions recently, I have to
make this posting apropos nothing :-).

So, you are hereby warned (again) that at some point in the future the
following may well change the format and location of:

 /var/lib/dpkg/status and /var/lib/dpkg/updates
 /var/lib/dpkg/available
 /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list

If they do there will be little warning.  I have plans on my todo list
which will make these things change.  If you need an interface to this
information that isn't currently available you should report it as a
bug.  If you maintain a library or other program that legitimately
accesses these files you will need to coordinate with me nearer the
time to make sure that the transition happens in an orderly way.

I may at some point change the location of:

  /var/lib/dpkg/info/<package>.<controlareafile>

However, this will be done with more consultation, and I have no
current plans which would imply a change to the locations of those
files.

Ian.