Re: Constutituion, tech. ctte, timing

Hi,

	I have no strong feeling on this subject, but I think I would
 prefer to give the charperson a say in the running of the technical
 committee affairs by having a general vote.

	The rationale: We should have a technically competent person
 as the chairperson of the committee in the forst place, if one of the
 responsibilities is leading the discussion, coaxing a consensus, and
 representing the committee to the outside world. Given that, it seems
 horribly backwards not to let this person affect genral votes in the
 committee, and loose the benefit of that expertise.

	Additional beneficial side effects: this is a more egalitarian
 approach within the tech committee.

	I guess that giving the charperson two votesd (regular and
 casting) may well be too much power, and maybe we should have an odd
 number of people in the committe to make ties less likely.

	In case the chairperson only has a regular vote, and no
 casting vote, there should be a process for resolving deadlock. Like
 asking the President to vote (the president too should be technically
 competent).

	It is not as if the president has not been involved in the
 tech committee; he does have a role in intial appointments.

	manoj

--
 All extremists should be taken out and shot.