Re: New priority?

On Tue, May 19, 1998 at 03:59:56PM -0500, Rob Browning wrote:
> Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > Actually, if we're opting for a more 'descriptive' hierarchy, I see no
> > reason why something shouldn't appear in two places, if it seems
> > appropriate in two places.  The principle of least surprise, as
> > interpreted by me, suggested that I should be able to find LWP in
> > lang/perl/modules/www as well as in web/cgi/scripttools (or whatever).
>
> Sounds like keywords would be more appropriate, and more flexible...

Having keywords is just like a hierarchy one layer deep and IMO is less
flexible.  For example, with a hierarchy:

editor
editor/web
editor/programming
printing/admin
web/admin
web/editor
web/viewer

Doing something like this with keywords would be harder, the hierarchy
allows use to reuse popular words such as "editor" and "viewer".

OTOH we would probably end up with lots of links like:

editor/programming
programming/editor

But then it does mean that you can find things in lots of places :-)  We
could always allow a search inside any subtree "editor" which would match
both those above.

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com,  http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Debian Linux  http://www.debian.org  The superior Linux distribution