Re: New priority?

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Rev. Joseph Carter wrote:

> On Tue, May 19, 1998 at 06:03:40PM +0200, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> > example :
> >
> > interpreters/libwww-perl
> > 	is ok for a filename.
> >
> > lang/perl/modules/www
> > 	is a better descriptive name (it's a subpart of perl, a module, and
> > 	called www - if you know cpan (as every perl programmer does),
> > 	this name i easier to understand).
> >
> > look at the mail/ dir - it could be splited in
> > mail/transport
> > mail/reader
> > mail/utils
> >
> > with a good navigation you could skip the whole lang/perl tree if you are not
> > interested in it.
>
> This would be nice although we'd have to work the categories a little for
> things that fit in more than one place.

Actually, if we're opting for a more 'descriptive' hierarchy, I see no
reason why something shouldn't appear in two places, if it seems
appropriate in two places.  The principle of least surprise, as
interpreted by me, suggested that I should be able to find LWP in
lang/perl/modules/www as well as in web/cgi/scripttools (or whatever).

> > the other thing debian needs is lists of packages as coarse
> adjustment. e.g.:  > "firewall - everything you need to build, run and
> maintain a firewall"  > you can do fine tuneing later. this should also
> be splitted in two parts - > a base set and add on packs. e.g base pack
> "x11 development workstation"  > and extension packs "graphic
> development", "c/c++ development" ...
>
> This would be hard to do I think.

I thought someone had done some work on this idea already?  I remember a
discussion a couple months ago about giving the user a variety of choices
from the install program..

Jules