Re: New APT version

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Will Lowe wrote:

> > > If there are no major unfixed problems with apt at release time, I feel
> > > this is what the testing group will recommend as a prefered upgrade
> > > method.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any problems with this?
> Maybe I'm the only one with this problem,  but apt-get doesn't seem to
> check for available space on the filesystems it's going to install stuff
> on.  I've several times had dselect hang on me because it runs out of
> space whilst unpacking files.

It gives space-usage information, but unfortunatly there isn't a truely
practical way to determine the space requirements of a package for each
filesystem (short of reading all the packages through beforehand to gather
the size information out of them, something that would extend what many
think is already an extrodinarily long installation routine).  In
addition, it really is dpkg's place to know about being out of space, not
apt's (imho)

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/