Re: New priority?

On Tue, May 19, 1998 at 06:03:40PM +0200, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> the whole priorty system has a major flaw :
> the user decides what is important - a firewall needs other programs than a
> xterminal, a workstation or a file/web/... server.
>
> suggestion: drop the priority thing at all. it's ok to save packages in a flat
> system, but for navogation a deeper system with mor information could improve
> things a lot.

The two priorities that seem important to me are Required and Extra.
Required is ... required and Extra is for stuff that may break things or you
probably don't need/want in a "normal" system, ie stuff for devel kernels,
etc.

> example :
>
> interpreters/libwww-perl
> 	is ok for a filename.
>
> lang/perl/modules/www
> 	is a better descriptive name (it's a subpart of perl, a module, and
> 	called www - if you know cpan (as every perl programmer does),
> 	this name i easier to understand).
>
> look at the mail/ dir - it could be splited in
> mail/transport
> mail/reader
> mail/utils
>
> with a good navigation you could skip the whole lang/perl tree if you are not
> interested in it.

This would be nice although we'd have to work the categories a little for
things that fit in more than one place.

> the other thing debian needs is lists of packages as coarse adjustment. e.g.:
> "firewall - everything you need to build, run and maintain a firewall"
> you can do fine tuneing later. this should also be splitted in two parts -
> a base set and add on packs. e.g base pack "x11 development workstation"
> and extension packs "graphic development", "c/c++ development" ...

This would be hard to do I think.