Re: Intent to package GSL

   Well, I was being sloppy when I said "as implied by the name" since it
   could just as easily have been covered by the LGPL.  Nonetheless, it
   is currently covered by the GPL, on the LGPL.  I've only recently
   joined the project, so I don't know why one form was chosen over the
   other.  It is possible - since the project is still young - that this
   issue was not discussed at all.  I will enquire and report back.

The way I understand it (and I haven't actually heard this said by
anyone like RMS), the GNU project only puts vital system libraries,
like libc, under LGPL.  Other libraries, like readline, are put under
GPL to encourage development of free software (witness ncftp).