Re: Perl packages, CPAN, locally installed .pm files

Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> The CPAN convention is to have a README file separate to the main package.
> This can be read from with the CPAN shell.

Hmm... this is an interesting issue.

Are there any valid reasons (other than the implementation of
dselect) to favor some descriptive text which is independent of
warnings, copyrights and installation instructions?

Then again, there are some CPAN packages (DBD/DBI comes to mind),
where you can't install them through the CPAN interface, and you
have to follow the instructions in the README...

I guess this is one of those quality problems which hits CPAN.

[Note that there's another problem which occurs when perl
gets upgraded.  This hits CPAN packages which have dynamically
loaded C.]

--
Raul