Re: upstreams maintainer conflict, was: wget: remove outdated manual page

On Sat, 16 May 1998, Nicolas Lichtmaier wrote:

> I'm glad to see that you agree with me on all this. It's just that you

    ??  I'm not sure now to what you are referring.  With what did I
agree?

>don't know the facts. Read the manpage, read the info docs, and then we can
>continue this discussion.

    The first thing I did before joining this was to compare the
manpage and the info pages.  At least the command line list from the
manpage bears no similarity to the infopage command line list, and the
manpage starts with a warning that it's out of date.  If you have any
specific points to address, please do so.

====

I just received another couple of emails, so I'll respond to some
chunks of them, too:

> From: Nicolas Lichtmaier <nick@feedback.net.ar>
> To: Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr>
>
> > Which facts are those?  Perhaps I don't know the facts either.  Why
> > don't you educate us by providing them, for a change.
>
> I've chosen to improve the man page, using the info docs as a base.
> That's what he is suggesting.

    You are in any case using both the old man page and the info docs
as a base.  This has introduced inconsistencies between documentation
styles, and has introduced a couple of minor nits (spelling/grammar
problems, etc.).
    If you want a suggestion, for starters replace the command-line
descriptions in the manpage with the ones in the infopage (separated
as normal/advanced), double check your work to make sure that nothing
is out of date or conflicts with the info document, and then remove
the first paragraph from the manpage that says that it's out of date.
Either it's out of date or it isn't, and if it is out of date it needs
to be fixed, and if it isn't out of date, it shouldn't say that it is.

 Zed Pobre <zed@va.debian.org>  |  PGP key on servers, fingerprint on finger
* I have a final in an hour and don't have time for this.