Re: rsyncd 2.0.0

Jason wrote:
> On Thu, 14 May 1998, Philip Hands wrote:
>
> > I'd be interested in setting this up on master and va so we could mirror from
> > them using rsync without needing ssh (it now has the ability to limit the
>
> We have a general policy that nobody mirrors from master or va but the
> first tier mirrors, they are the ones that should run rsyncd..

Unfortunately this is 'just policy' and way too many people are mirroring master
directly. It would be useful if rsyncd allows us to restrict use of rsync
for non-anonymous mirroring. This would allow us to have more control over
who mirrors master directly. I haven't checked whether this is the case and
suspect that it isn't possible (it does allow you to restrict anonymous access
though).

Use of rsyncd on master and va might be a good idea anyway as it would allow
us to get rid of the mirror accounts. Also, it would remove the overhead of
running rsync over ssh.

Jay Treacy