Re: Undeclared dependencies on menu

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Joey Hess wrote:

> Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > In general this is a problem with APT too
>
> Is it really? I'd think that for this to be a problem with apt, apt would
> have to allow libstdc++ (or whatever) to not be installed, and then
> processed to install menu and packages that depened on it. I thought apt was
> smarted and would see menu depended on libstdc++ and proceed to install the
> library first?

In this case yes, it always will. But that is not something it gaurentees
for -ALL- cases. When things get more complicated and you start having
dependency loops and other odd constructs then it will happily install
things out of dependency order.

> You speak about the problem being with packages not being configured, but
> I think update-menus will work fine even before menu is configured. And menu
> will work ok before any of the libraries it depends on are configured, so
> long as they are installed at all.

And this is why menu works at all, neither package needs to be configured
to work, this is something that is required of any package that uses this
technique.

Jason