Re: The latest XFree86 (3.3.2-4)

Roman Hodek <Roman.Hodek@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> writes:

> > What about m68k (and presumably other archs) that don´t have a
> > joystik support? Should configure test for it and undef it? Can one
> > undef it? Actually there´s a joystik driver for Atari, but its not
> > used.
>
> Joysticks in the kernel are a somewhat problematic field...
>
> Yes, there is an Atari joystick driver, but in a different world :-)
> Joysticks on PC are usually analog devices, i.e. they report a
> position as a range of values. Atari (and Amiga) joysticks work
> digitally, i.e. they just report if a direction is active or not. This
> induces some differences in the device protocol, i.e. what data you
> can read out of /dev/js*.
>
> I've talked 1..2 years ago about this with the author of the PC
> joystick driver about this and we agreed that we should develop a
> common protocol, but then this thread died because we both had more
> important things to do :-)
>
> The problem for XFree is just that the joystick driver includes
> <linux/joystick.h>, which doesn't exist in the Linux/68k source tree.

It didn't exist in my i386 System. I have no Joystik, so the joystik
support is wasted.

> The joystick package provides this file, but I don't know if it's
> appropriate for m68k. Anyway, the driver in XFree won't work anyway on
> a non-i386 arch, either because the kernel doesn't have a joystick
> driver at all, or because the protocol is different.
>
> Brandon, is it possible to make joystick support in XFree available on
> i386 only? (Or remove it alltogether? :-)

I suggest making configure check for it and use or not use it
accordingly.

Apart from that it must be fixed anyway, cause JS_GET_TIMEOUT /
JS_SET_TIMEOUT (out of memory) isn't defined, but used by xfree.

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn