Re: OFF-TOPIC - Cross-compiling (was Re: Seeking other archs to build packages on)

> Surely that's a bug in gcc, then? I can't see any reason why a
> particularly platform of gcc shouldn't be able to generate FP
> instructions for another...

Kind of, yes... gcc tries to be smart and does constant folding on FP
numbers. But it isn't smart enough and does that calculations in its
own (host) FP format, not in the one for the target machine. So you
get wrong results.

There are now hooks in the gcc source for a "target FPU emulator",
which would fix this. But such a thing is hard to do, and I don't know
of a reasonable implementation yet.

Roman