OFF-TOPIC - Cross-compiling (was Re: Seeking other archs to build packages on)

--On Wed, May 13, 1998 10:42 am +0200 "Roman Hodek"
<Roman.Hodek@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:

>> Another point in favour of crosscompiling is, that some errors will
>> occur that don¥t occur on i386. *Thinking about those smart i486
>> optimisations flags that fail on non-i386*
>
> You're right, but in another way than you think :-) Yes, some errors
> will only show up on cross compiling. But those -m486 & Co. flags will
> also fail if you compile natively on e.g. m68k... :-) The main point
> is that cross-compiling code with floating point calculations is
> dangerous to impossible. You should be sure that the source doesn't
> include float or double vars....
>
> So this argument again speaks *against* cross-compiling.

Huh?

Surely that's a bug in gcc, then?  I can't see any reason why a particularly
platform of gcc shouldn't be able to generate FP instructions for another...

Anyway, presumably we shouldn't be using -m486, since we are targetting the
i386 architecture here. (Or do we have working FP emulation?  I seem to
recall that NetBSD requires and FPU and builds an FP emulator for non-FPU
machines - certainly for m68k anyway).

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |