Re: Intent to package RootTail

Petra, Kevin J Poorman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I intend to package, (if no one else is working on it) Root tail. Root
> tail is a cool program that is basicly like running 'tail
> /var/log/messages' on your X root window.

That sounds really cool....I doubt I would use it (I am rather fond offloatbg)
but...it sounds cool

> so far I have only one concern.
> The source has no licence, with it as it's just a .c file. I'm going to
> contact the author about this.

contacting the author would be a good thing...AFAIK even if there is no licence
and no copywright it is
still legally copywrighted and the license must specifically say what
you can do...with no licence you can download it and compile, run it
(and of course change it all you want...as long as noone knows ....
hmm...if code changes on a computer and noone is there to distribute it
does it really change? ;) )
but you can't distribute it :(
Contacting the author is really the only thing you can do for  now (well that and

watch it run in your root window)
Then again...I am just serving up to you what I have read here as response to
other packages with similar problems...I am no lawyer (well thats one thing I
have
to be proud of anyway)
-Steve

> Particle man, Particle man
> Doing the things a Particle can
> Whats he like? Its not important
> Particle man is he a dot, or is he a speck
> When He's underwater does he get wet, or does the water get him instead?
> Undo Me by Jennifer Knapp
>
> - -K

....Universe man, Universe man .........