Re: bug #21998 should be promoted to severe

Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 1998 at 01:49:23AM -0700, Guy Maor wrote:
> > The plan was to release a dpkg to hamm which had the allow-overrides
> > turned on right before the release.
>
> Wasn't there a list somewhere that listed all the problem overlaps?  If
> there are only a few left, then these could be fixed and allow-overrides
> left disabled.

I used to post such a list.  I'm making a new one now that Guy cleaned up
the archive again.  It is indeed quite short.  I'm not done yet, but I
expect 8 or so overlaps to remain after checking for diversions and such.

However, we can't leave force-overwrite off, because even if we manage
to clear all overlaps from hamm (and I think we should), there are
still a large number of overlaps left between bo and hamm.  Someone
who upgrades will encounter these.

Once I make lintian smart enough to parse dpkg-divert calls in package
control scripts, I can generate an overlaps list that is updated daily.

Richard Braakman