Re: Lynx-SSL

On Tue, May 12, 1998 at 12:02:54PM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:

> >> Start with <URL:http://www.replay.com/redhat/lynx.html>.  Despite the
> >> name, ftp.replay.com is actually in Amsterdam.  The source .rpm
> >> contains various patches, sone of which is SSL.

> >> I think these were probably illegally exported.
> >
> > So?  They're out of the US jurisdiction now.  =>
>
> #include <disclaimer/Im_not_a_lawyer.h>
>
> Not true, of course.  All european countries and (for example) australia and
> new zealand have signed treaties with the US which mean that, in principle,
> a non_US citizen who broke a US law can be tried under US law.
>
> I am unaware of any test cases in cryptology (but they're common in
> murder...)

If someone ELSE broke the law by exporting the code, they do so at their own
personal risk.  Once the code is exported to a free-world country, it is in
the free world and others could in theory at least use it.  Once it has been
exported, the US can't do anything about it.  Best they can do is catch the
person who did the exporting.  It's not like we're talking about a robbery
where the exported material was stolen and anyone handling it is breaking
the law.  They'd like us to THINK so, however.