Re: Tiny libraries

olet@ifi.uio.no (Ole J. Tetlie) writes:
> I have a package that uses two very small libraries, shhmsg and shhopt.
> I packaged the libs separately from the program that uses them, but it
> has been suggested that I just incorporate them in the package that
> uses them (snake4).
>
> The libs are generally useful and they are distributed separately
> from the author, so I still think it's a good idea to have them
> as packages.

If the libraries are useful on their own then I would vote for packaging them
separately. In fact the policy requires you package them separately. Otherwise
if there are just about anything other than libraries in the same package then
you can't have two versions of the library installed simultaneously, which is
really quite important.

What I would like to see is a control file flag to indicate that a package is
a "library" in the sense that it's not really useful for the user and is
mainly used by other packages. Then we can optionally have dselect/apt
automatically install and deinstall these packages without bothering the user
at all.

greg