Re: Intention to package x11amp

  Larry> I would say to register it with suidmanager, leave it
  Larry> non-suid by default, and place a notice somewhere that if
  Larry> performance is an issue, it may be made setuid through
  Larry> suidregister. On my K6-200, the CPU time it takes up is
  Larry> pretty negligible, although I understand it may be an issue
  Larry> on lesser machines :)

  BG> Good idea. How exactly should I explain the use of suidmanager
  BG> in the README, though?  -- Brought to you by the letters H and G
  BG> and the number 10.  "Disobeying me?" "No, I don't." -- Final
  BG> Fantasy II Ben Gertzfield <http://www.imsa.edu/~wilwonka/>
  BG> Finger me for my public PGP key. I'm on FurryMUCK as Che, and
  BG> EFNet and YiffNet IRC as Che_Fox.

I'd put something like this:

Although x11amp is more efficient if made setuid root, doing so has
the potential of opening security holes, especially since it is a
binary-only package. Thus, it is not installed setuid by default. If
you require the additional efficency (for instance, if it skips,
or freezes) or you are aware of the security issues and consider the
risks acceptable, then you may run the following command to set x11amp
to run setuid:

suidmanager (insert required options here)

-Larry

--
  Larry Daffner        |  Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
  vizzie@airmail.net / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/