Re: Seeking other archs to build packages on

Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> Apart from that, you could also crosscompile.

Uh, no.  Please do not upload untested cross-compiled code.  Untested
stuff is the most likely to break and cross compilation is often
dodgy.  There are maintainers for the non-i386 architectures who will
compile all packages, which can be compiled, sooner or later.  If you
want to help us, a) ensure your package builds from a fresh source
tree, and b) fix the bugs we file about packages which won't build
from source[2].  People who don't own and can't access non-i386
machines producing non-i386 debs are in general, going to cause
trouble[1], not help.  Even on the slowest architectures, it's the
broken packages holding us back, not the number of compilable
packages.

[1] There are of course, some exceptions to this, e.g. non-free
pre-compiled binaries.

[2] There was until recently still #3xxx era bugs filed by previous
m68k maintainers about source packages being unbuildable from source.
I think Dirk may have fixed the last with his upload of autopgp, I
can't check right now though (nameserver problems).

--
James