Re: on forming a new Linux Distribution

Kenneth.Scharf@coulter.com writes:

> No problem here.  As I said I *DID* find the answers and got my debian
> installation to talk to my
> ethernet card after making use of available documentation.  But it was not
> Debian specfic documentation that
> was most helpfull, but rather general linux networking and slackware
> specific documentation that gave me my answers.

I found the Suse handbook a valueable source of information. Debian
needs a good Handbook (maybe tex, dvi, ps, html)

> >Yep, lots of apps need to be ported - are you volunteering?
>
> Ok put your money where your mouth is eh?  I'm not yet at the point where I
> could make the kind of
> contribution that I'd like to.  First I need to get my own system in order
> (I'll end up starting from scratch with
> debin 2.0 when it is ready for prime time).  Then I need to learn how to
> program GUI under X (which standard? Motif etc?), I currently know MFC
> under windows professionally.

I would suggest GTK, it has interfaces to many languages and it looks
and works good (see gimp).
You shouldn't make the same error as many other projects and start
writing your own toolkit. It will never be as good as taking something
like gtk and enhancing on that.

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn