Re: New APT version

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Joey Hess wrote:

> Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > This version of apt is probably the most effective way to upgrade from
> > bo/rex. It has been tested in several bo upgrades and has undergone
> > simulated upgrades for 18 different configurations, including a few rex
> > systems.
>
> This makes me wonder if we should think about dropping autoup as the
> preferred way to upgrade to hamm, and switch to apt. On the one hand, autoup
> has been tested pretty thouroghly and we shouldn't risk postponing debian
> 2.0 to work out bugs in apt. On the other hand, I've never seen autoup
> as anything but a hack. Apt also lets people accomplish the entire bo ->
> hamm upgrade from inside dselect, which is much cleaner.

Well, not to belittle auto-up, but has it been kept up with the new
bo->hamm elements? Dpkg now depends on libstdc++ for instance. As far as
bugs in apt go, I have been running a beta for the past month on alot of
different machines and system and people. I have monitored about 5 bo
upgrades that apt didn't have any problem with (there were package bugs
though)

The very nice thing about apt is that it is highly deterministic in it's
ordering, if you do one upgrade you can be pretty sure that alot of other
similar ones will work correctly as well. I tried to do alot to make
things happen in a highly predictable and constant order.

Jason