Re: bug #21739 - xfstt -- comments?

Hi,
	I am writing a little font manager for debian (dtm, you can find
it in slink) and some time ago I proposed to put all the fonts
(the one independent from arch) in /usr/share/fonts. If the fonts
have both outlines and metrics like type1 fonts we can use subdirs:

	/usr/share/fonts/type1/outlines
	/usr/share/fonts/type1/metrics
	etc...

	For trutype fonts I propose /usr/share/fonts/truetype.

	I am mailing a copy of this to debian-policy (but I am not
subscribed to this list, so can you keep me on the cc, please).

Ciao, federico

On Mon, May 04, 1998 at 11:28:20AM -0400, Stephen Carpenter wrote:
> I have been working on the xfstt package to take it over. Until a few
> days ago there was only one bug of "Wishlist" priority filed against
> it which is now ready to close as soon as I am able to upload
> files (ie am finished registering as a debian package maintainer et al)
> It now makes a pid file in var run like a "good little deamon" and can
> be started
> and stoped form a scipt in /etc/init.d
> however this new bug has been reported...and I am looking for comments
> about how to fix this one.
> The new bug states the xfstt keeping the true type fonts in /var/ttfonts
> is
> a violation of both the FHS and the FSSTND
> I agree with this...now that I think about it...this IS a violation
> (unfortunatly...bad news...I lost my printed copy of the FHS and the
> FSSTND
> I will be printing up new copies soon tho)
> any thoughts on wher ethe true type fonts should go?
> what would be a good directory for them?
> I e-mailed the upstream author and he said:
>
> > Check out the new --dir option. Maybe the best place would be near
> > the other X11 fonts: /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/ttf, but I'm sure this
> > would cause a bit confusion for some users who would put this
> > directory into their fontpath.
> >
> So any ideas (he is planning to leave the upstream source as keeping it
> in
> /usr/ttfonts ...right now I would say our version uses choe the lesser
> evil)
> where ould be a good place for fonts that woul dnot (hopefully) confuse
> users too much?
> Once I decide maybe I shoul dput a check in the preinst that will detect
>
> the /var/ttfonts and move it to the new place (shoul dthat step require
> user interaction???)
> your ideas and comments are apreciated
> -Steve
> --
> PGP Key at: http://www.gis.net/~sjc/pgp.asc
> (BTW Thanx allot Noah for pointing out why putting my pgp key here was
> a bad idea...now I hafta find a new funny quote or something for here)
> "Ummm, me make *one* change. Stone hot so me soak in stream so
> stone not burn Lorto hand. Small change, shoul dnot keep Lorto from
> make Fire."
>

> --

Federico Di Gregorio <fog@debian.org>
Proudly running Debian GNU/Linux (http://www.debian.org)
"Never lost your fine sig in a disk crash? Surely I did!"