Re: Dependencies problem

Hello,

>   Eloy>  Hi, my package ncpfs provides a shared library (libncp). When trying
>   Eloy> to build using dpkg-buildpackage, debstd gives several errors about
>   Eloy> not being able to find dependencies for the binaries in the
>   Eloy> package.
>
> Errors or warnings?

Actually they are warning, the package is built just fine:

-- Figuring out dependencies of ELF objects
utmp entry ("eparis") does not match value of LOGNAME ("root"); using
    "root" at /usr/lib/dpkg/controllib.pl line 19.
dpkg: /usr/lib/libncp.so.1 not found.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find any packages for
   /usr/lib/libncp.so.1 (libncp.so.1)
[...]

> I have a similar situation with Octave which installs some .so libs into
> /usr/lib/octave which only itself uses.  I get (perfectly valid) warnings
> during the build which I ignore (which is also perfectly valid as no other
> package needs the libs).

Oh, I see. So probably these warnings are OK.

> How exactly is dpkg-shlibs called?

I don't know, it's debstd the one that calls dpkg-shlibs...

> I am now using debhelper, which ignores the warnings as it should
[...]

Uhhmmm, I am getting tired of these debstd horror stories. I think
I'll give debhelper a try :-)

>   Eloy> Is this right, a package that depends on itself? How can remedy this
>   Eloy> situation? The package installs fine, though...
>
> No it doesn't seem right.

Well, after removing the shlibs.local file and ignoring the warning my
package seems to have the right dependencies:

Depends: ipx, libc6, libcomerr2

Thanks for the help.

E.-

--