Re: Yet another Linux distribution! :-)

Mark Baker <mbaker@iee.org> writes:

> On Fri, May 01, 1998 at 11:10:39PM -0700, Jim Pick wrote:
>
> >  - targetted towards desktop use only, no server apps, just a few games
> >
> >  - minimal size - optimized for installation via 28.8k modem via FTP,
> >    which will be the primary distribution mechanism (not CD).
>
> These don't seem consistent to me. If people are the wrong side of a dialup
> link, they need to have a local MTA (actually most people ought to have that
> even if they're not, although the configuration is significantly simpler if
> they're on a permanent fast network connection and so don't need local
> mailboxes) and a local news server.

Oh yes, it will have an MTA.  When I said "no servers", I meant stuff
like web servers, SQL databases, etc - stuff you might find on an
Internet server or LAN server.  In reality, there will dozens of
"servers" for personal use.  I'm going to use CORBA-based stuff
wherever I can, so all those objects could technically be considered
to be "servers" as well.

> Other than that, it sounds good---not for me, and probably not for the
> majority of Debian's existing users, of course, but for people who want a
> simple desktop OS that's easier to use than Windows.

And existing Debian users don't have to choose, because I'm not
leaving Debian, and I'll put the same stuff into Debian (as long as it
fits policy).  :-)

Cheers,

 - Jim