Re: List of bugs that *must* be fixed before releasing Hamm

Brian White wrote:
  >> Brian, this is a useful list, but please sort it by Maintainer or by Packa
      >ge
  >> rather than by bug number:
  >
  >Several people have asked for this, but maintainers already get separate
  >reports about their packages and reports by package are available on
  >the web site, so I don't really understand the usefulness of presenting
  >it that way here.  Is there something I'm missing?

I get a number of bug reports.  Quite a lot of them relate to an obsolete
package that hung around for an unconscionable time after I had uploaded
its replacement.  I don't want to close reports until the package makes it
into the distribution.  I also don't want to spend time on the web looking
at bug status.  If a message like yours comes along, I want to be able to
scan it quickly for anything relevant to me, in case I've missed something.

The numeric sort is of no use to anyone; the sort order gives no useful
information at all.  A sort by package gives us a view of each package;
a sort by maintainer shows up which people have a lot of bugs to file.
Both these are useful information for everyone, information which is
obscured by a numeric sort.

Surely it can't be hard to do? You're extracting fields from the bugs
database by some process; just pipe it through sort before you format it.

    Come to me, all you who labour and are heavily laden, and I will
    give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am
    meek and lowly in heart, and you shall find rest for your souls.
    For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.    (Matthew 11: 28-30)