RE: deb + tar + bzip2 suggestion

Sorry for the late reply - catching up.

IMHO speed is always relevant, and so is memory usage.  This is the trap
Micro$oft
and Apple have fallen into.  Just because the hardware is capable of running
faster
is no excuse for sloppy coding.  I'm not saying everything should be written
in assembly
language and optimized, but horsepower is not a substitute either.

Pat